www.skylinesoft.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SkylineGlobe Enterprise Products > TerraBuilder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Direct Connect users, where art thou?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyline Customers
Skyline Customers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prokein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Direct Connect users, where art thou?
    Posted: August012005 at 2:08pm

If there is anyone out there using Direct Connect, I'd love to hear from you.  I am mainly interested in knowledge exchange when it comes to performance and hardware, especially interested in storage solutions.

Here at EarthSLOT our production system is currently running TG 3.0.3.186 and TBA 1.06.0.104.   The machine TG is running on is a Dell PowerEdge 1750 with a dual Xeon 2.8Ghz (100 Mhz FSB), 1 GB of RAM, a local 20GB 10k Ultra320 drive, and a direct attached Promise 8000 loaded with eight 250GB drives, RAID5 with 1.5TB of usable storage.  We have a second PowerEdge 1750 which is identical to the first, just running TBA on the second one.

We are in the process of buying more storage, and I would like to know if anyone is using NAS to store source data.

Conceptually I am curious whether people are happy with the reliance on Windows-share to make Direct Connect work.  I realize that this is the way it is for now, and I have no idea how much effort it would be to create a TCP/IP client solution, but I can see a lot of benefits (security, offsite distrubution of clients much like SETI perhaps, clients could run on linux machines, etc) in using TCP/IP based clients instead of Windows-share.

That's it for now, hope some DC users will actually reply.

Cheers,
Peter

EarthSLOT - 64 N - Northernmost TerraGate Server - EarthSLOT Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic